7.31.2013

Faux Wainscoating

I've been making some changes to our little powder bathroom, and one of the bigger changes has been, what I like to call, our faux wainscoating.  

Here is what we did:

1.  We measured.  A lot!  We measured the length for the chair rail, then we measured how large we wanted our "frames".  We also measured how far apart we wanted them, so we would know how many "frames" we needed.

2. Then we headed to the store!  
We chose our chair rail and a cheap, thin molding for the "frames".
We also picked up silicone adhesive, caulk, and 1 1/2" nails.

3. We made ALL of our cuts before doing anything in the bathroom.  I just think its easier that way!

4. We hung the chair rail, using adhesive AND nails.  Notice the level, it was our best friend for this project!! 

5. After the chair rail was up, we attached the "frames" the same way, piece by piece. We made sure to measure from the top of the base board to the bottom of the chair rail to make sure it was centered in the middle.  
We also measured the space between each "frame".


6. Next we caulked everything!

7. We painted the trim first, in Valspar's Polar White

8. And then finished by painting the walls (Valspar's Wet Cement)

I want to add it everywhere now, that's how much I'm diggin it!
The complete bathroom makeover is still to come....I'm still working on a few other things for it!

Therena
Let's Connect!

21 comments:

  1. such nice details make all the difference. Love the color you chose for the walls

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like it. totally gives the room a different look.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, the trim is gorgeous! "Wet Cement" is a gorgeous color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! I want to do some sort of trim treatment in our bathroom. Either board & batten or something like this!
    - Lora @ Craftivity Designs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love board & batten too!!!! Thanks so much! Just checked out your blog, and am a new follower!

      Delete
  5. I love the look of wainscoting, so I am very happy that our new house has wainscoting already. The wainscoting in your bathroom looks wonderful--great job!
    Hopped over from Gingerly Made ;)

    ~Ashley @ Apples By Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you're lucky your house has it!!! Its my Fav! Thanks so much Ashley!

      Delete
  6. Very nice! I get nervous with anything that requires measurements! Math isn't my strongest subject. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Me either, I make my husband do it...he is awesome at math! Thanks Selene!

      Delete
  7. Absolutely lovely! And a lot of work, but it sure shows that you love your home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks great! We're doing this soon in our house too. I'd love for you to link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-diyers-and-my-new-rug.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fun!! Thanks Kayla, I'll definitely link up!!

      Delete
  9. i love the effect faux wainscoting has! you can't even tell:) i want it in every room:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks spectacular! I did about the same thing around my kitchen window last week to fake an inside shutter!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks amazing. Great tutorial too. Thanks so much for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks so great, Therena! Thanks for sharing at Give Me the Goods!

    Rachel @ Maison de Pax

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They brighten my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...