4.25.2013

Thrifty Thursday: Antique Office Chair

Today for Thrifty Thursday I'm going to show you my new office chair.  But I have to start with my "office".  I don't like having to designate a whole room for an office.  Since my hubs has his office at work, there is just no need for a big office in our home.  We have two computers so we needed at least a spot for a desk.  When we were building our house, one of the options was to pay big bucks for built-in cabinets in one of our hallways.  So I had the thought "maybe this nook area could work for a desk if we left it open: without cabinets.  
Here are some pics of it, and it has actually been amazing!  I can be working on stuff and have a clear view of the playroom.  However, we have to use an armless chair so it can be pushed all the way in (since it is in the hallway).  We didn't have one without arms, so my brother gladly made a "trade" with us!  Unfortunately the only good thing about his chair was that it was armless!  It is hammered, and the back has a tendency to fall off.  If you look closely at the pics you can see that it is barely hanging on!
I began to search on Craigslist and at the thrift store for an old antique chair because I thought that might be fun to have for our desk.  I kept seeing them on Craigslist for around $60 bucks! NO WAY!  I was not about to spend that on a chair!!  But I happened upon this guy at Goodwill, and he was $12!  
These were taken right after I finished sanding
When I got him home I made my  chalk paint.  I mixed 2 TBSP plaster of Paris with some water.  When the P of P was dissolved I added my paint:  for this project I used Valspar's Churchill Hotel Vanilla.  This guy took about 5 coats of paint!! He was SO old that most of his stain was gone and he just soaked up the paint.  I used my electric sander for most of it, and it easily distressed even with the five coats of paint.

 Here he is in his new home.  I am so pleased with the way he turned out!



Link Parties:





4 comments:

  1. I love that chair!
    I also think the paint is thin and that is why you got stuck doing 5 coats. I have had trouble with the same paint too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susan! Oh yeah, it was really thin, but I finally got him, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO jealous of that chair! I love those old carved back chairs, and I finally scored some for my dining room a few weeks ago. I have also been looking for a new desk chair and oh my goshh... the envy. :) Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They brighten my day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...